Student U Leadership Fellowship
Student U Leadership Fellowship – Promise Keepers for College Persistence
We believe that Student U participants are the key to their own success. We also believe that with the right support and resources we can change the narrative around who can and cannot succeed in college. The purpose of the Student U Leadership Fellowship is to use the natural assets of current College Promise students including but not limited to age, cultural relevance and college campus experiences to provide additional support for the Student U College Promise Program Freshmen class.
The Leadership Fellowship begins in May 2018 and will last through May 2019. This program also intends to strengthen bonds between Student U college students and establish strong systems for accountability for incoming freshmen.
Fellows will be trained and supported throughout the duration of the year in order to be effective support for College Promise program freshmen.
We believe that with the support of Student U, families, school communities and peers, our program freshmen will have tools to persist through their first two semesters in college and establish a foundation of tools and habits to persist through to graduation.
The fellowship will also provide leadership and professional development opportunities for the fellows. Fellows will go through a 3 day training and will be provided with opportunities to build skills around coaching, program development & implementation, public speaking and more.
Student participants will each receive a $200 stipend for participation in the fellowship.
- Lead Fellow
- Fellows serving as Lead Fellows will receive $300. Additional responsibilities for lead fellows are denoted with an asterisk(*).
Who Can Apply?
- Must be a current Student U College Promise Student
- Completed 1 year of College
- Commit to checking in with College Success Coordinator monthly about your grades and progress towards graduation.
- Must be in good academic standing at your university.
- Enrolled as a full time student during the duration of the time as a Fellow (summer excluded).
- Must complete and submit application by Monday, March 5th .
- Interview/ In person or phone.
Time Commitment & Responsibilities
Avg. 5 hours/ Month
- Fellowship Duration - May 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019
- Fellowship Orientation, Training and College Signing Day - May 17 - 20, 2018 - Durham
- Create a report at the end of the Fellowship detailing your experience as a fellow and a video testimonial to be used for future recruitment.
- Co-Facilitate with other Fellows and College Success Coordinator and Attend - Freshmen Summer Retreat (July 31-August 2) AND Winter Retreat (December 18)
- Monthly Group Check in with Fellows Cohort via Video Conference
- Assist in recruitment process for the 2019-2020 cohort of Fellows
- Assist in recruitment and interview process for the 2019-2020 cohort of Fellows*
- Co-Plan with College Success Coordinator and attend - Freshmen Summer Retreat (July 31-August 2) OR Winter Retreat (December 18)*
- Caseload of 3-4 Student U College Freshmen.
- Check in with Students mentees monthly.
- Complete Google Form for each check in monthly
Supports to Fellows
- Planning support before the school year begins.
- Funds for outing/ group activity per semester
- Forums - Online forum for organizing
- Slack with private clusters or Groupme Channels
- Technical Assistance during monthly calls with CSC
- Peer Accountability
- Fellows partnered with other Fellows to create accountability partnership.
- Guidance for retreat planning from College Success Coordinators
- Program Duration: May 2018- May 2019
- Interviews: March 21 - April 1, 2018
- Mandatory 3 - day training: May 17 -19, 2018
- Attend College Signing Day May 20, 2018
- Summer Retreat: July 31-August 2, 2018
- Winter Retreat: December 18th, 2018
- Books/ school supplies stipend $200/Semester or $300/Semester as a Lead Fellow with additional responsibilities
- Experience in program design & implementation
- Experience in meeting planning and facilitation.
- Experience in peer coaching skills
How to Apply:
The application form is online and available by clicking below. The deadline is Monday, March 5th by midnight. A complete application will include a resume and 1 letter of recommendation to Derrick.firstname.lastname@example.org.