Summer Academy Program Coordinator Assistant
Student U is a college-access and success organization that believes all students in Durham have the ability to succeed. We know that structural racism, poverty and other systemic injustices force our students to face significant obstacles to educational success. We want to change the odds for children in the Durham community. We believe our students are powerful, and that this power will help us realize a Durham where all students can succeed.
Our Summer Academy staff are excited to facilitate learning and create an environment for students to succeed.
We are hiring staff to work in our summer academy program, providing academic enrichment and structured new experiences. In Summer Academy, we are committed to helping our students feel success and growth by providing thoughtful, intentional academic experiences, and sharing our own excitement around academic content.
The Program Coordinator Assistant will work closely with the Student U Program Coordinators to plan, prepare and implement the Summer Academy Program. The Program Coordinator Assistant will work part-time during the spring, meeting with the Program Coordinators to plan for upcoming events and program-wide summer events. During the summer, this person will work full-time providing support with the day-to-day logistics of the summer academy programming. There will be two Program Coordinator Assistants split between the middle and high school program coordinators. The ideal candidate for this role will have experience working with youth, planning and coordinating youth programs, and a belief in Student U’s mission and values.
Time: Part-Time (January - May), Full-Time (June 4 - August 2, 2018)
In collaboration with the Program Coordinators and Program Director, the Program Coordinator Assistant will:
- Create lesson plans for non-instructional time (Intramurals, Family Time, Meet & Greet) that builds positive culture, college readiness and promote Student U core values
- Participate in the planning and implementation of pre-Summer Academy Student U-wide events (ex. Teacher Orientation, Family Day, etc)
- Participate in Summer Academy planning meetings & regular check-ins with Program Coordinators
During Summer Academy:
- Participate in the planning and implementation of Summer Academy Student U-wide events (ex. Student Orientation, Celebration, Parent Nights, etc)
- Track daily attendance and report absences to Program Coordinators
- Provide additional supervision throughout the day
- Support in restorative conferences and student behavior concerns as necessary
- Manage daily program announcements for summer academy teachers
- Coordinate logistics of events (ex. Career Day, Olympic Day, Share Day, etc)
- Support and observe Summer Academy teachers as necessary with classroom instruction
Compensation: Hourly, based on experience
Anti-Discrimination Policy & Commitment to Diversity & Child Safeguarding Policy
Student U is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission.
Student U has a commitment to ensuring the safety of our students. All staff will participate in the Darkness to Light Training, which is a child safeguarding training to help them understand why it is necessary to safeguard and protect children and to be fully aware of the procedure for reporting concerns.
How do you apply with Student U?
Applications are online! Click the button below to begin your application after you have reviewed the job description above in its entirety. A complete application will include resume, cover letter and two professional references.
Priority Deadline: Monday, January 29, 2018