Summer Academy High School College Prep Teacher
Student U is a college-access and success organization that believes all students in Durham have the ability to succeed. We know that structural racism, poverty and other systemic injustices force our students to face significant obstacles to educational success. We want to change the odds for children in the Durham community. We believe our students are powerful, and that this power will help us realize a Durham where all students can succeed.
Our Summer Academy staff are excited to facilitate learning and create an environment for students to succeed. We are hiring staff to work in our summer academy program, providing academic enrichment and structured new experiences. In Summer Academy, we are committed to helping our students feel success and growth by providing thoughtful, intentional academic experiences, and sharing our own excitement around academic content.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Student U High School Teacher!
Our high school Summer Academy is a six week academic enrichment program designed to support our rising 9th and 10th grade students’ academic and social transition to and through high school. Student U teachers work full-time in the summer, creating lesson plans and teaching their own self-designed course while working collaboratively with other teachers to engage and inspire students. Student U teachers are expected to be fully present at Summer Academy which operates Monday – Friday from 7:30am- 4:30pm and on Tuesdays until 5:30pm. Teaching at Student U is a full-time commitment.
Teachers are compensated for their prep work.
- College Prep Teachers: There will be a 9th grade College Prep teacher and 10th grade College Prep teacher at Student U’s Summer Academy. The curriculum will be created by our College Advisor and teachers will be responsible for editing and making it their own. Student U’s College Prep goals state that students will have knowledge of choices necessary to go to college, students will make connections between current choices and college(future life), students will be able to identify areas of growth and strengths in college readiness, and students will be able to explore their own interests
- Attend all pre-summer training events
- Attend Teacher & Student Orientation
- Commit to teaching one, self-designed course over the course of our Summer Academy.
- Work with the Program Coordinators and Mentor teachers to develop their course (prior to summer academy beginning)
- Meet parents and students during student orientation
- Attend a two night, out of state college tour with students
- Attend weekly faculty (Tuesdays, 4-5:30pm) and department meetings (during Student U hours)
- Attend weekly Professional Development (during Student U hours)
- Participate as a full member of the Student U Community
REQUIRED PROGRAM DATES
March TBD Teacher Workday (Pre-Summer Training)
April 20, 2018 Faculty Dinner, 6-8pm
April 21, 2018 Family Day/Teacher Workday(Pre-Summer Training), 9am - 4pm
May TBD Teacher Workday (Pre-Summer Training)
June 11-15, 2018 Teacher Orientation, 8am - 4pm
June 13, 2018 Student Orientation, 6-8pm
June 18 - July 27, 2018 Summer Program, 7:30am - 4:30pm, Tuesdays until 5:30pm
July 30 - August 2, 2017 Evaluation Week, 8am - 4pm
Our Ideal Candidates
We are committed to hiring and developing a staff that honors and reflects the diversity of our community.
Our High School Summer Academy Staff typically consists of:
- Licensed high school teachers interested in piloting new curriculum/classroom ideas to implement in their classroom during the year-round teaching job
- PhD students in schools of education and/or content specific programs who have previous teaching experience
- College students in Schools of Education and/or Masters of Education candidates who have worked in programs such as Student U, have taught their own classes in the past and are interested in gaining more experience before becoming career teachers
- Members of the community who are experts in their craft, have a passion for working with our next generation of leaders, and want to see people grow through the process of exploration
All Summer Academy Staff:
- believe all students can achieve greatness.
- are committed to helping our students grow both academically and socially/emotionally into what we know they are capable of.
- are committed to learning, growing and reflecting together to ensure our students are gaining academic skills.
- are committed to uncovering the brilliance of our students.
- are committed to the city of Durham.
- view the time spent with students 6th-10th grade during Summer Academy as an important part of their growth professionally.
- use Student U as an opportunity to develop skills they will later use in their own classrooms or in their area of expertise.
To learn more about the beliefs that guide our work, please explore our mission and values, found here
How much do Summer Academy teachers make?
Should teachers fulfill all attendance requirements, they will earn no less than $3,000.00 for the Summer. Licensed teachers will earn no less than $4,000.00 for the Summer. There are opportunities to earn more by signing up for additional needs throughout the summer.
We value experience in our program. Teachers who remain with the organization for multiple summers have the opportunity to increase their compensation. Hourly rate dependent on experience.
Anti-Discrimination Policy & Commitment to Diversity & Child Safeguarding Policy
Student U is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission.
Student U has a commitment to ensuring the safety of our students. All staff will participate in the Darkness to Light Training, which is a child safeguarding training to help them understand why it is necessary to safeguard and protect children and to be fully aware of the procedure for reporting concerns.
Preferred Deadline: Friday, December 1st, 2017
Final Deadline: Monday, January 29th, 2018
Do you have questions about the job or your qualifications to teach with us? No worries! Fill out a quick form and we will be in touch.
Questions about the application? Please contact Elena Dalsimer at [email protected]