Middle School Program Coordinator
Student U is a college-access and success organization that believes all students in Durham have the ability to succeed. However, as a result of structural racism, poverty and other systemic injustices, we acknowledge that first generation college-bound students face significant personal and institutional obstacles to educational success. We want to change the odds for children in our community.
We believe that a Durham where all children can succeed is possible. We believe that our students and the children in our community are the most powerful tool our community can leverage to realize that vision. We believe that Student U’s role in creating a Durham where all children can succeed is in expanding the educational opportunities available to our students so that they may unlock their full potential and be the advocates for change within our community. In order to make this dream a reality, Student U creates a pipeline of services to support students from middle school through college. By providing direct services during out-of-school time and advocating for students and families within schools, we ensure our students develop the academic skills and personal well-being needed to succeed in their post-secondary choices and beyond. Employees at Student U believe all students can achieve greatness. Student U employs 19 full-time staff members and over 100 part-time staff members during the year to support our work. Together, through intentional staff collaboration and community partnerships, we work tirelessly to make the fearless dreams of our students come true.
The Middle School team consists of two Middle School Program Coordinators who work collaboratively to plan, implement and evaluate our daily after-school and summer program for 150 middle school students & families. As a member of our full-time staff, the Middle School Program Coordinator participates in all staff meetings, professional development and special projects across departments.The ideal candidate for this position demonstrates a passion for Student U’s mission and core values, middle school students and working collaboratively towards student success.
Program Development, Implementation & Evaluation
- In collaboration with Program Team, develop and implement high quality daily after-school & summer program using innovative strategies to best engage students towards academic and personal well-being success
- Recruit, select, train and oversee part-time staff in daily after-school & summer program fostering a work culture reflective of Student U’s core values
- In collaboration with Chief Program Officer & Evaluations & Research Coordinator, create and evaluate progress towards ambitious goals
- Manage program budget
Student & Family Support
- Develop and maintain family partnerships to best support students & families and connect families with the necessary staff & resources
- Foster relationships with Durham Public Schools teachers, counselors and families to best support students’ academic & personal well-being needs
- Collaborate with Student U staff and community partners to best support students’ needs
QUALIFICATIONS, PERSONAL TRAITS and COMPETENCIES
- Experience with and sensitivity towards culturally and financially diverse student and families
- Detail-oriented and organized with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Team player who is flexible & willing to help whenever necessary
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Willingness to work evenings & weekends
- Personal commitment to Student U’s Mission, Vision & Core Values
- Spanish proficiency preferred, but not required
SALARY and BENEFITS
Salary for this position is competitive and will be based on prior experience. In addition, a full, comprehensive benefits package is included.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY and COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Student U is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission.
TO APPLY: Apply online. All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and two professional references (including one from your current place of employment, if applicable) and one personal reference. Priority will be given to applications received by April 28, 2017. In-person interviews may begin as soon as May 3, 2017.