Student U is a college-access and success organization that believes all students in Durham have the ability to succeed. However, as a result of structural racism, poverty and other systemic injustices, we acknowledge that first-generation college-bound students face significant personal and institutional obstacles to educational success. We want to change the odds for children in our community.
We believe that a Durham where all children can succeed is possible. We believe that our students and the children in our community are the most powerful tool that our community can leverage to realize that vision. We believe that Student U’s role in creating a Durham where all children can succeed is in expanding the educational opportunities available to our students, so that they may unlock their full potential and be the advocates for change within our community. In order to make this dream a reality, Student U creates a pipeline of services to support students from middle school through college. By providing direct services during out-of-school time and advocating for students and families within schools, we ensure our students develop the academic skills and personal well-being needed to succeed in their post-secondary choices and beyond.
Employees at Student U believe all students can achieve greatness. Together, through intentional staff collaboration and community partnerships, we work tirelessly to make the fearless dreams of our students come true.
Position Purpose and Value:
With the advancement team along with the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director, raise $3 million in revenues each year while developing and implementing a multi-year strategy for expanding the network of friends and investors of Student U. Ensure all components of development operations align with Student U’s Core Values and Advancement Philosophy.
- Implement a comprehensive fundraising plan to meet annual operating budget and support reserve growth, inclusive of all aspects of a diversified fundraising strategy, including but not limited to: the annual fund, major gifts, special events, corporate sponsorships, and foundation stewardship
- Manage annual development calendar, including execution of specific action items, for a variety of stakeholder relationships, such as:
- Prospective donors
- Foundation representatives
- Elected officials
- Media contacts
- Partner organizations
- Oversee the planning, coordination, and implementation of all development events, including but not limited to: Summer Academy Visit Days, Dream Makers’ Dinner, the W.G. Pearson Center grand opening event
- Build Student U’s prospect research capacity by supporting the design of a systematic approach to identifying and qualifying prospects and conducting research for funding opportunities for Student U
- Analyze the interests of donors and prospects to support preparation of individualized solicitation strategies
- Design meaningful site visits and other donor engagement opportunities
- Collaborate with Communication Specialist to design and produce creative donor appreciation, stewardship, event materials, gifts, and touch points, including contributing to execution of the Annual Report
- Ensure accurate,efficient gift processing and record keeping
- Research best practices and use available data to drive decision making
- Manage multiple distinct projects and timelines simultaneously
- Take ownership for developing a deep understanding of all aspects of the Student U organization, operations, and programs
An ideal candidate will make a significant impact on Student U. After one year, the incumbent will be able to identify specific, significant personal contributions to the overall implementation of Student U’s advancement activities. Candidates should have some direct experience in event planning and/or relationship management. Demonstrated interest in working within a non-profit or in the field of education is preferred. Candidates must believe that all students can succeed and be willing to grow and develop with the organization as Student U strives to realize its ambitious goals.
Values, Personality Traits, and Competencies:
- High level of personal commitment to Student U Core Values
- Eagerness to learn
- Demonstrated ability to build productive working relationships at all levels of an organization and to build rapport authentically and quickly with a variety of stakeholders outside of an organization
- Successful project management experience with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Motivated to meet deadlines consistently and execute all tasks to the greatest degree of quality
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written), including but not limited to listening, showing empathy, reading nonverbal cues, and moving people to action
- High expectations for consistent follow through both as relates to self and others on Advancement team
- Open to taking risks and trying new strategies
- Effective in a range of activities from strategic projects to delivering on the details
- Experience with Student U preferred but not required
Benefits and Salary:
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity:
Student U is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission. Student U does not discriminate in any way including, but not limited to discrimination by age, gender, disability, race, nationality, sexuality, gender identification, and gender expression.
Please apply ONLINE. A complete application will include résumé, cover letter, and two professional references (including one from your current place of employment). Only complete applications will be considered.Preference will be given to applications received by Friday, December 1, 2017. If you have any questions, please contact Elena Dalsimer, Business Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.