WG Pearson Center Head Custodian
Student U is a college-access and success organization that believes all students in Durham have the ability to succeed. However, as a result of structural racism, poverty and other systemic injustices, we acknowledge that first generation college-bound students face significant personal and institutional obstacles to educational success. We want to change the odds for children in our community.
We believe that a Durham where all children can succeed is possible. We believe that our students and the children in our community are the most powerful tool our community can leverage to realize that vision. We believe that Student U’s role in creating a Durham where all children can succeed is in expanding the educational opportunities available to our students so that they may unlock their full potential and be the advocates for change within our community. In order to make this dream a reality, Student U creates a pipeline of services to support students from middle school through college. By providing direct services during out-of-school time and advocating for students and families within schools, we ensure our students develop the academic skills and personal well-being needed to succeed in their post-secondary choices and beyond.
Employees at Student U believe all students can achieve greatness. Together, through intentional staff collaboration and community partnerships, we work tirelessly to make the fearless dreams of our students come true.
Position Purpose: The WG Pearson Center is a multi-use space in Durham, NC consisting of classrooms, offices, conference rooms, and tech labs. The 55,000 sq. ft. building is also equipped with an auditorium, gym, and cafeteria. The mission of the Head Custodian position is to enhance the daily operations of the building by ensuring that all spaces are kept clean and all fixtures within the building are in optimum working condition. If interested in this position, apply with a resume and brief cover letter explaining what draws you to Student U and to this position and why you believe you would be the best fit.
Hours: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm
Weekend hours as needed for events
Supervisor: Cameron Phillips, Student U Operations Coordinator
- Coordinate with all housekeeping and/or maintenance staff to ensure all building spaces are clean, operating appropriately, and prepared for use each day
- Ensure disposables are always stocked throughout the building (paper towels, toilet paper, staff break room supplies, soap, etc.)
- Manage furniture/equipment set-up and tear-down of building spaces as needed for events or office activities
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets regularly
- Manage stripping and waxing of floors annually (during summers)
- Wash mirrors and windows as needed
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs as they arise (replacing broken fixtures, fixing door handles, replacing light bulbs, etc.)
- Report major damages and oversee repairs
- Secure facilities before and after operating hours by unlocking and locking doors, closing windows and arming/disarming the alarm system
- Undertake miscellaneous custodial and janitorial tasks as needed (lifting heavy items, moving furniture, etc.)
- Communicate in a consistent and timely manner with appropriate facilities staff members about building happenings
- Commitment to the mission and values of Student U
- Proven experience as custodian or similar role
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic handy practices
- Attention to detail
- Very good physical condition and strength
Anti-Discrimination Policy & Commitment to Diversity & Child Safeguarding Policy
- Student U is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission.
- Student U has a commitment to ensuring the safety of our students. All staff will participate in the Darkness to Light Training, which is a child safeguarding training to help them understand why it is necessary to safeguard and protect children and to be fully aware of the procedure for reporting concerns.
Position Pay & Benefits:
The Head Custodian position will be an hourly, non-exempt position.
Health, retirement, and wellness benefits + paid time off and sick leave
How to Apply: Apply online or submit a completed paper application that includes a resume, cover letter explaining what draws you to Student U and to this position and why you believe you would be the best fit. If you would like to drop off a paper application, please contact [email protected] to make arrangements. The priority deadline is Friday, June, 22, 2018 with a start date of July 16th.