Bilingual After-School Receptionist
Student U is a college-access and success organization that believes all students in Durham have the ability to succeed. However, as a result of structural racism, poverty and other systemic injustices, we acknowledge that first generation college-bound students face significant personal and institutional obstacles to educational success. We want to change the odds for children in our community.
We believe that a Durham where all children can succeed is possible. We believe that our students and the children in our community are the most powerful tool our community can leverage to realize that vision. We believe that Student U’s role in creating a Durham where all children can succeed is in expanding the educational opportunities available to our students so that they may unlock their full potential and be the advocates for change within our community. In order to make this dream a reality, Student U creates a pipeline of services to support students from middle school through college. By providing direct services during out-of-school time and advocating for students and families within schools, we ensure our students develop the academic skills and personal well-being needed to succeed in their post-secondary choices and beyond.
Employees at Student U believe all students can achieve greatness. Together, through intentional staff collaboration and community partnerships, we work tirelessly to make the fearless dreams of our students come true.
- Greet and appropriately assist Student U visitors, staff, and volunteers upon entry
- Coordinate and complete daily program operations including but not limited to:
- Effectively communicate daily staff and/or schedule changes
- Collect, record, and summarize daily attendance of students, staff, and volunteers
- Maintain staff and student records
- Maintain and manage student safety and medical supplies
- Communicate information effectively to all Student U stakeholders:
- Answer main phone line and complete mailings
- Receive, record, and relay phone and/or email messages to appropriate Student U staff in a timely and organized manner
- Act as the lead communicator between families and Student U staff regarding all attendance updates, questions, or concerns
- Translate program documents and logistics from English to Spanish to ensure clear communication to all families
- Support Program Coordinators and Operations Assistant as needed
- Build positive, supportive, and professional relationships with families, colleagues, and students
- Collaborate with program staff to reflect on organizational structures and ensure efficient, effective programming
- Demonstrate the Student U Core Values in all interactions with Student U stakeholders (students, families, guests, volunteers, supporters)
- Must be fluent in written and oral Spanish communication
- Belief in and commitment to the Student U mission and core values
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Reliability in completing tasks fully and in a timely manner
- Belief in the importance of a clean and orderly workplace
- Ability to develop and maintain organizational structures
- Ability to meet deadlines
Commitment: August, 2017 - May 2018 (following DPS traditional calendar); Monday-Thursday 2:15-6:15, and some Friday's.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity: Student U is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission. Student U does not discriminate in any way including, but not limited to discrimination by age, gender, disability, race, nationality, sexuality, gender identification, and gender expression.
Compensation dependent upon experience.
- Priority Deadline: July 14, Final Deadline: July 31
TO APPLY: Apply online. Application requires a resume and cover letter to be considered for the position.