Student U 2018 Summer Internship
Internship Program Overview
The high school internship program is a six-week summer program designed to expose students to a work environment, explore career interests, and provide them with the opportunity to gain professional skills in a nurturing environment. Student U will host interns on campus and will collaborate with community partners to place interns at off-campus locations. The Student U internship program welcomes rising juniors and seniors to apply. The internship program is competitive, and those who demonstrate clear interest, strong communication, maturity and other job-specific skills will be chosen to participate. Students who request to intern on-campus at Student U will be able to ride the bus to and from campus. Students interning off campus will have to arrange for their own transportation. Interns in their first summer will earn community service hours and valuable professional experience. Interns returning for a second summer have the opportunity to be paid.
Thank you for your interest in Student U’s internship program. All students, new and returning, must submit an application in order to be considered. Strong applicants will apply for internships that fit their interests, have complete, well-written and thoughtful responses to the questions and thoughtfully complete their interview. Priority Deadline for Applications is Thursday, April 5th. Final Deadline to turn in applications will be Thursday April 12th. Before completing the application, please read the internship program overview and program structure. If you have any questions about the internship program or application process, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Daysi at [email protected]. We look forward to reviewing all applications and considering you for an internship position this summer
Priority Deadline due: Thursday, April 4
Final Deadline: Thursday, April 12
Interviews: Saturday, April 21, 1:00pm-4:00pm
Selection & Placement: Students will know if they are accepted and where they are placed by after May 5.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP SCHEDULE
Intern Orientation: June 12, 9am-4pm, Durham Academy Middle School
Intern Workdays (site specific): June 13th-15th
College Tour: June 18-22
Internship Dates: June 25 – July 27
Internship Program Structure
- Application and Interview Process
- Applications: Priority Deadline Thursday, April 5. Final Deadline: Thursday April 12. All interested students will complete a detailed application and turn it in via email or in person to Ms. Daysi by April 12.
- Interviews: Saturday, April 21, 12:00pm-4:00pm. After reviewing the applications, selected students will be granted an interview time on the 22th based on the quality of your application. These selected students must complete an in-person interview as part of their application process. Incomplete, late and/or poorly completed applications will not be granted interviews.
- Placement Process
- Students will be selected based on the quality of their application, the feedback from their interview held with site supervisors, and their availability to participate during the summer.
- Ms. Daysi and the internship site supervisors will work together to place students at sites according to the organizations’ and students’ preferences.
- Student U does that guarantee that all students will be placed.
- Professional Development and Training
- Tuesday, June 12, 9am-4pm: All interns will participate in a formal orientation before the summer at their host sites and with the High School Internship Coordinator.
- Professional Development Workshops will be held each Friday of the five-week summer internship. Students will be at their internship sites Monday – Thursday, and then meet on-campus at Student U each Friday for professional development and career field trips.
- Evaluations and Accountability
- All on-campus interns will have weekly check-ins with the Internship Coordinator.
- The High School Program Coordinator will visit each off-campus internship site throughout the summer.
- Supervisors and Interns will participate in end-of-summer evaluations to reflect on their experiences and provide feedback with the support of the High School Program Coordinator.
- Each intern will complete a Presentation of Learning to the Student U intern community and site supervisors at the end of the summer.
Compensation: Interns returning for a second summer have the opportunity to be paid.
The Internship Application consists of 5 parts all available to complete online:
- Cover Page: Statement of Original Application, Personal Information, and Academic Information
- Written Responses
- Explanation of Top 5 internship choices
- Parent/Guardian Responses
- Letter of Recommendation
- Optional: You may attach your resume if you have one.
How to submit your application:
- You can with an online application below or you can email your application as an attachment to Ms. Daysi [email protected] In the subject line of the email, please include the words “Internship Application.”
- Drop off a typed physical copy of your application with Ms. Daysi at the Student U office located temporarily at Kipp Durham (1107 Holloway St).