Associate Director of College Advising & Success
Our bold vision is that one day, all students in Durham, regardless of the color of their skin and the amount of money their parents have in their pockets, will be able to succeed. In order to make this vision a reality, Student U’s mission is to empower students in the Durham Public Schools to own their education by developing the academic skills and personal well-being necessary to succeed in college and beyond. Student U aims to combat systemic racism and structural inequities by walking with students from the fifth grade through college graduation as they beat the statistics and become leaders in our community. The three components of Student U programming - an intergenerational college access-success pipeline, leadership development for students, families and staff, and an open source model of sharing our lessons learned is our contribution to creating a Durham where all children can succeed.
The Associate Director of College Advising & Success will be a part of our program department and will work closely with Student U’s high school staff to support students and families as they prepare to make post-secondary choices. In addition, the Associate Director of College Advising & Success, will collaborate with Student U’s college success coordinators to work with students through graduation from institutions of higher education. This position will be responsible for nurturing a post-secondary completion culture throughout the organization including among Student U students, parents and staff, leading to students enrolling in best fit institutions. The Associate Director of College Advising & Success will provide individual counseling, develop curriculum and lead programs that ensure our students enroll in best fit institutions by the end of their senior year. In addition to direct work with students and families, the Associate Director of College Advising & Success will lead the team of success coordinators and high school advocates to ensure we are building an integrated and cohesive approach to seeing our students to and through their post-secondary journey. This is a new position within our organization with room for growth and creativity. The ideal candidate for this position will be passionate about this work and our vision for young people and will have a depth and breadth of experiences that enables them to thrive in this dynamic role.
Team management duties: (30% of responsibilities)
- Coach, support and manage two full-time College Success Coordinators and 32 part-time senior Student U advocates
- Provide inspiring leadership and management that creates, fosters, and maintains a culture of innovation, problem-solving, collaboration, excellence to ensure the effective, quality and timely delivery of all college readiness and success programming
- Oversee daily operations of college advising and success programs to ensure they are planned and executed with fidelity, integrity and aligned with strategic priorities of the institution
- Ensure College Advising and Success team remains abreast of best practices in the field by coordinating team learning opportunities and experiences. This includes, but is not limited to, visiting other programs, attending conferences, participating in webinars, etc.
- Serve as liaison between College Advising and Success Team and middle and high school programs
College Advising Duties and Responsibilities: (70% of responsibilities)
- Develop and implement programs that establish and maintain a college-completion culture within the middle and high school programs, focusing intentionally on promoting grade-appropriate college and career exploration.
- Engage Student U juniors and seniors and their families in comprehensive and individualized college application, financial aid and scholarship application processes in order to ensure all students graduate high school with a clear plan to obtain a post-secondary credential
- Support seniors and the college team in their post-secondary transition process .
- Design and lead College Bound 101 workshops for all rising seniors and their families
- Educate and counsel parents in understanding the college admission and financial aid process.
- Consistently track student application progress, including meeting their individual application, aid/scholarship, admittance, graduation and enrollment goals.
- Coordinate robust college tours for all Student U high school students.
- Develop productive relationships and partnerships with colleges/universities, scholarship programs and other higher-education professionals. Attend professional development conferences as needed.
- Implement college savings program and manage scholarship application process within Student U in coordination with community partners
- Lead college access and retention professional development sessions for all high school staff members.
- Oversee ACT/SAT test-taking and support ACT/SAT prep for juniors and seniors.
Dispositions, skills, and qualifications:
- A belief in and commitment to Student U’s vision, mission, values and problem statement.
- A commitment to and passion for supporting students and families in making the best post-secondary choice for them that will enable them to thrive and be successful post high school.
- Ability to work on and lead a team.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to flex communication style to multiple environments
- Ability to travel for college visits and regional/national conferences, including some overnight travel.
- Ability to work some evenings during peak programming season and few Saturdays per year.
- Ability to develop strong relationships of trust with students and families.
- Strong command of best practices in college advising and college retention for first generation college students of color, some of which may be undocumented.
- A relentless drive to provide the highest quality education for all students.
Desired Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (Master's in counseling or higher education administration preferred)
- At least three years of experience working in the college advising, counseling, admissions and retention fields
- Managerial experience.
- Preferred but not required: Fluency in Spanish.
Anti-Discrimination Policy & Commitment to Equity & Child Safeguarding Policy
- Student U is committed to fostering an inclusive culture within our organization where people from various backgrounds can participate fully and equitably, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission.
- Student U has a commitment to ensuring the safety of our students. All staff will participate in the Darkness to Light Training, which is a child safeguarding training to help them understand why it is necessary to safeguard and protect children and to be fully aware of the procedure for reporting concerns.
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and depends upon prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
To Apply: Please apply online. A complete application will include résumé, cover letter, and two professional references (including one from a direct supervisor). Only complete applications will be considered. The final deadline for applications is Friday, November 2nd, 2018.